If you are installing a CommCell Console GUI on your Administrator PC it normally download and installs all patches from the CommCell Server to the client. You do not need to do anything manually, but with this bug these feature is more or less broken.
- CommCell Console GUI before 8.x SP4 is not installing patches on Windows XP at all.
- CommCell Console GUI with 8.x SP4 installed fails to upgrade to SP5.
- CommCell Console GUI starts up and update dialog is shown. After you press Yes for installing the patches, nothing at all happens and patches are not installed.
- Proper UAC (User Account Controll) logic implementation seems missing for Windows Vista and Windows 7 in Simpana 8.x and 9.x. By Microsoft certification rules the product is therefore not certified for Vista / Windows 7.
- Auto-Upgrade often fails to install other required patches
- Windows 7 (has been broken with 9.x SP3):
- Variant 1:
- Right click on CommCell Console GUI icon
- Select Run as Administrator
- CommCell Console starts up
- Update popup appears and lists new available patches
- Press Yes and all patches will be installed successfully.
- Variant 2 (not recommended):
- Disable UAC
- Windows XP:
- Install Simpana 8.x SP5 (9.x not tested)
- 06/05/2011: GUI Console 9.x SP2a is still not Vista/Win7 ready (missing UAC support).
- 10/03/2011: UAC on Windows 7 shows a new bug, Run console as admin solves the issue.
- 02/24/2011: Patching fails again with latest post-SP5 patches on Windows 7 (x64).
- 10/13/2010: Manual uninstallation of CommCell GUI, AutoUpgrade from RTM to SP5 was successfully (WinXP).
- 10/07/2010: Automatic upgrade from SP4 to SP5 failed again under WinXP.
- 10/05/2010: RTM should have a bug. Applying the SP interactively resolves the issue. Still broken with January 2010 DVD set and SP4 manually installed in opposite of what support says. Now running with SP4.
- 08/13/2010: Opened case with support